Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Silath's Journal: Day 24 - November 11, 2281


Woke up at 5 AM. Veronica seemed used to the early hours, and Rex was already up. I don't know if he slept at all. Veronica said she'd had a hard time falling asleep, the Lucky 38 gave her the creeps, but that she was used to waking up early in the BoS.

We headed up the 95, and just before the road that branched off into the mountains, towards Jacobstown, we were attacked by legion assasins. It was nearly the same place as the last time I was here.
Veronica and Rex tore into them, her ballistic fist sending one of the flying a few feet and Rex tackling one to the ground, tearing out his throat. I took out the other two with VATS. Looks like my two new companions can hold their own, but Rex has a habit of charging into things that worries me.

I said my hellos to Marcus when we got to Jacobstown, Veronica opted to stay outside. I don't think she trusts the mutants. I found Dr. Henry, and he examined Rex before delcaring he would need and entirely new brain. Said that Lady Gibson by Novac had some dogs, and that the fiends and legion often used them as fighters. I've seen the NCR use guard dogs as well.
So, we'll have to find Rex a new brain somewhere. I'm sure it won't be overly difficult. After that we headed for Cazadore Canyon; there were a few that had returned to the nests, but only about 6, not nearly as much as last time. Rex got stung and I had to rush to heal him up before he died from the venom.
We made good time on the trail, though, and reached Redrocks by 1 PM. Diane still demanded proof, but I was able to convince Jack to speak out against the legion. Jack was able to convince Diane, so it all worked out in the end.

With all the cats in the bag, I spoke to Papa. He admitted that his advisors had made a good case to abandon the legion, and then told me his true fear; If the Khan's didn't ally with the legion, how would they ever continue their legacy of glory?
I took a risk and told Papa my honest opinion. "Legacy of glory? What legacy? The Khans are nothing but the step-children of the Mojave, kicked from one place to another. Their legacy is nothing but ghosts and martyrs."
I could see the anger in Papa's face, but he also realized the truth of my words. He finally folded: the Khans would forge a new legacy, he claimed, and find glory at the battle of the dam, fighting against Ceaser. I was pleased.

Recalling the underground train station, and remembering that I had wanted to finish exploring it when I had suffecient supplies, I headed out of Redrocks and entered the tunnels in Bonnie Springs where I had exited them before.
We killed a few mutants and ghouls, then discovered a whole nother section of complex. Much like elsewhere in the Mojave, I was beginning to suspect these tunnels were just a cover for some military or research base.
I had Veronica and Rex stay behind, as my combat module told me there were several enemies in the rooms beyond. I didn't want them alerting anyone or anything to me when I could just take them out with my perferator instead.
I cleared the first few rooms and then went back and got them, pulling out the combat shotgun now. We entered a large series of caves; it looked like someone had made an underground city, almost.
The area was infested with feral ghouls, though. And some that weren't feral, but hostile nontheless. Rex kept trying to get himself killed, and almost succeeded a few times. Veronica more than held her own, and she took a suit of bulky combat armor from one of the dead ghouls. It looked kind of goofy, but seemed to offer more protection than the normal combat armor you see.

I checked my pipboy, and by then it was getting dark. Someone had constructed two small houses in the first cave section, so I scouted around a little to make sure it was clear and then we set up camp for the night, barricading the doors and windows just in case.
We'll catch a few hours of sleep, eat and drink, and then keep exploring these caves. Hopefully Rex will manage not to get killed in the process...

No comments:

Post a Comment