Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Silath's Journal: Day 16 - November 3, 2281


I decided that today I would head back to New Vegas, do some trading and reloading as I was running lower on ammo than I would have liked. The day didn't quite turn out as planned though...
I said my goobyes to Marcus and told him I would try to return some day, and see how the progress on the nightkin had turned out. With Keene dead, the nightkins had decided to stay at Jacobstown. For now.

Decided to take an alternate path out of the mountains, which was mistake number one. Total cazadore body count: 18. Will forever be known as Cazadore canyon.
On the other end, oddly enough, was the Great Khan encampment at Red Rocks. Since I was there I decided to see about recruiting them to my cause. I was instructed to speak with the Khan's leader, Papa Khan, up at his longhouse.
Papa Khan could not be swayed. It seems the Legion has sent an emissary, Karl, with a silver tongue. Had Papa all convinced joining the Legion would be the best thing ever. It seems Papa had never heard of the Legions history, and the fact that the factions they couldn't assimilate, they destroyed. Thought I was spouting bullshit when I told him as much. Of course this wouldn't be easy...
As I left the longhouse I was approached by a Khan named Regis, the law-maker or enforcer or somesuch. He knew the truth about the Legion, but couldn't speak publicly without first convincing three other important Khan members; Milessa, Daine, and Jack.
Regis also advised that my task would be easier if I found some way to discredit Karl. That proved, at least, to be easy enough. I snuck into Karl's room and found his journal, which I then showed to Papa Khan. Papa had Karl killed on the spot, but unfortunately this was not enough to sway his opinion.
Apparently Papa REALLY hates the NCR. When House took over the strip, he kicked the Khans out, and they camped out at Bitter Springs, raiding NCR caravans. The NCR retaliated by attacking the Khans, and during the attack some women and children that were trying to escape got gunned down.

So I went to find Jack and Diane. Jack makes the chems and Diane sells them, earning a lot of caps for the Khans. I tried to tell Diane about the fact that Ceaser doesn't allow chems in his Legion, not even stimpacks, but she demanded proof. Sigh. The only major Legion outpost I know of on this side of the Colorado is Cottonwood Springs, so I guess I'll have to go down there and see if I can dig anything up... and try not to die in the process. Sniping, anyone?
I was told Melissa was out near Goodsprings, so I set off to find her. I swear, it'd be easier by far to just kill Papa and be done with it, but that risks destabalizing the Khans and leaving them free to cause all sorts of trouble. A last resort.

South of Redrock, as I was heading to Goodsprings I found an old tourists center, and decided to explore it. My second terrible decision of the day. Inside were a shitload of mutants, they gave me a pretty bad beating but I took care of them well enough. Problem is, during the fighting various explosions knocked down the front of the building, so I was trapped inside. The only way out was through...
Deeper in, I found a tunnel leading to some sort of underground train station. By then I was out of .308 armor piercing rounds, and low on magnum shells for my shotgun. All I had left were a handful of AP rounds for the R91 I had picked up in a side room on the upper floors.
Eventually, I managed to take out the shitload of mutants in the train station, with careful use of VATS and a lot of stimpacks. Quite possibly the scariest and most dangerous fight I've had yet. Almost as bad as fighting swarms of cazadores.

I had to keep pressing forward though, with no armor piercing ammo and only a few regular rounds left for the R91... and then I found it. A shack built back in one of the side tunnels, where it looked like someone had made home for a while.
And inside... a reloading bench. I've never felt so relieved. The mutants had a fondness for miniguns, which used 5mm ammo. I was able to use the 5mm primers and powder to reload my 5.56 shells with armor piercing rounds!
By the time I was done I had almost 500 rounds of AP ammo for the R91. Needless to say this took quite a while, and by the time I was done I was ready to collapse. I rolled out my sleeping pad, curled up, and started recording this. Now though, it's time for a good long rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment