Sunday, May 13, 2012

Silath's Journal: Day 11 - October 29, 2281


It was raining when I stepped outside of the Lucky 38 this morning. The moisture and smell felt good. For some reason it gives me a feeling of longing, though I do not know why. Loaded up some .308 armor piercing rounds for my DKS rifle at the Gun runners station.
Discovered the New Vegas clinic just outside the Crimson Caravan Company, strange I never noticed it before. Inside was a very kind Doctor Usanagi, offering supplies and, of all things, implants. I wanted to buy an implant that allowed your cells to regenerate, but it was 12,000 caps. Too expensive. Maybe some day?
As a side note, things feel much less urgent than the days leading up to killing House. With him out of the way it feels like I can take a little time to breath. Especially since I took some time this morning to set some new parameters for Yes Man. For one thing, nobody but me can command him now. For another, if I go more than 60 days without contacting him, the securitrons are programmed to all find uninhabited areas and self destruct.

On the way up to Nellis air force base, home of the fabled Boomers, a man named George stopped me to offer a bet. If I gave him 300 caps, he would give me a note detailing how to reach the base without getting blown to smithereens. If I made it there and back, he'd double my money.
I found a safe place and left the majority of my gear, just taking my rifle, combat armor, some water, stimpacks, and ammo. I read the note George had sold me; essentially one just had to find cover, wait for the shelling to stop, then run a few yards to the next piece of cover and repeat until you reached the fence.
I, however, had an ace up my sleeve. Just before I passed the signs warning of impending death for any trespassers, I activated a stealthboy. A little ways behind me I could hear George laugh and yell "They'll see you anyway!"
Imagine my chagrin when I discovered he was right. Thankfully I was able to make it to the gates regardless, using the tactic outlined by the note. How they saw through my stealthboy I don't know, perhaps thermal vision or some sort of lifesign detection like my combat module.

I was greeted at the gate by a young man carrying a rocket launcher and looking rather frightened. It was pretty obvious he'd never seen combat, but before he or I could do much of anything I was greated by a girl names Raquel, who was the self proclaimed Master At Arms.
Raquel took me to see 'Mother Pearl', an elderly but spirited woman wearing the same decorated leather jackets as many others around the base. Mother Pearl apparently felt there was 'Something special' about me.
Pearl requested that I help out with various tasks around base and learn about the history of the Boomers. I asked her what my payment would be, to which she replied "Our trust." Hopefully their trust will be enough to get them to turn their guns on the Legion.

I was told I would be allowed to come and go and I pleased, so I headed back to George to get my caps and pick up the gear I had dropped off. George paid up willingly, claiming it was the first time he had ever seen anyone survive the trip to the gate and back.
While I was walking through the base, an adorable little girl came up to me and asked if I could help her find her teddy bear. I said I'd keep an eye out. There's a surprisingly large amount of children scrambling around the base.
The first place I came into was the medical hut, a man named Argyll in charge. I offered what assistance I could, unfortunately out of the three patients I was only able to help one; a Boomer suffering from infection. He should live.

After that, I visited the musuem. There was a boy named Pete, who pointed at a mural painted on the wall and gave me a history of the Boomers. It seems they had originally been inhabitants of one of the fabled Vaults, this one numbered 34. But they were upset that their 'Overseet' would not allow them to use explosives in the vault, so they left.
For a while, they wandered the wasteland (Pete cited a kill count of something like 54 to 1, in favor of the Boomers) until they settled at Nellis. Now they have some sort of dream of restoring a massive flying bomber plane.
Afterwards I found two men, names of Jack and Loyal. Jack was a little... akward, mentioned something about a lady and then scrambled off. Loyal requested I bring him some scrap metal, and that I fix the base's solar array.
Raquel, the woman who had greeted me at the gate earlier, asked that I take on the ants swarming over their generator room and restart the generators. Apparently these ants had taken out a few Boomers who tried.
I think she just wants to get me killed, but she's underestimating just how hard a 'savage' (What the Boomers call us.) can be to kill.

Anyway, the solar array is right on top of the basement housing the generators, so I worked on those first. Was able to fix them up quite nicely, they should be operating at even better output than they were before they broke. My repair skills are getting pretty good.
Inside the generator room I killed a rediculous number of ants, but it wasn't too difficult with the help of my combat shotgun. Restarted the generators and got them back up and running.
By the time I came back outside it was dark, pretty late, so rather than go around waking up a bunch of sleeping Boomers I set up camp. I can surprise Raquel with my survival in the morning. Brat.

No comments:

Post a Comment