Monday, May 14, 2012

Silath's Journal: Day 13 - October 31, 2281


Silath's Journal: Day 13 - October 31, 2281
I started heading back to Nellis from the docks around 4 AM. Came across Bitter Springs (Or so said my pipboy) on the way back and decided to explore a little. It appeared to have been taken over by Legion troops.
At this point anything I could do to lessen their number was a plus, so I pulled out the DKS and sniped one down. The others started running towards me, so I retreated into an area with a bunch of broken down busses and pulled out the Mossberg, picking them off in the maze of scrap.

Further down the road I woke up another nest of, you guessed it, cazadores. Ugh. Thankfully I had picked up a bottle of antivenom (and some legion coins and healing powders) off one of the dead legion soldiers. Had to use it.
After that, a deathclaw appeared out of nowhere (I guess it had been stalking me) and attacked. It was just a young one, otherwise I would have been screwed. Wasn't too hard to kill but damn those things move fast.
Came across two more, a little further up the road; one of them a fully grown adult. Decided to just sneak around them, probably not a battle I was going to win.

Returned to Loyal to let him know the bomber had been raised, the trip had taken me about 5 hours. Time flies. Loyal was overjoyed, as was Pearl when I told her the news. When I asked her if the Boomers would lend their assistance in the battle for the dam, she was more than happy to promise it.
With that done, I decided to head back to the strip and let ambassader Crocker know I had secured the Boomers support. On the way back two raiders started attacking me, one armed with a gatling laser, the other with an incinerator. Both wearing heavy metal armor (for a second I had thought it was power armor again)
I ran away, ducking behind a pile of crumbling concrete under one of the roads raised up into the sky. They lost sight of me but kept heading in my direction; that was when I blew one of their heads off. The other saw me then and started lobbing blobs of fire in my direction. So I just ran away again and repeated the tactic.

I was pretty battered in the combat (the gatling laser got a few lucky hits on me) so I stopped at the New Vegas Clinic for treatment, where Doctor Unsanagi gave me a very generous discount due to my rep with the Followers.
I finally made it to the NCR offices just before nightfall, and let Crocker know that the Boomers were on my side, not neccesarily the NCR's. I thought it might help a little to make that distinction clear.
Not that he has anything to worry about, as long as the NCR doesn't do anything insanely stupid, but he doesn't know that. I didn't mention my plan to turn the strip over to the NCR once the dam had been taken, either, and he didn't ask any question aimed in that direction. Best to deal with that AFTER the dam has been secured. All it would do now is distract them from the fight.
Crocker said he had another job for me if I was up for it, but that it could wait till I had rested up. I said that was fine and I'd be back within the week, probably sooner. With that done I headed back to the Lucky 38, and let Yes Man know the Boomers were on my side.

With that said, the Boomers... well, they remind me a lot of other groups around the Mojave. They seem like assholes at first glance, but you get to know them and you realize they have good reasons for being assholes.
Yes, the Boomers tried to explode anyone who got to close to their base. But they made it obvious; it wasn't like they just went around blowing people up. And everyone knew trying to get near them was a possible death sentence. It wasn't exactly secret.
I don't like the way they look down on anyone outside their base, but I think if they got to see a town like Goodsprings, or people like the Followers of the Apocolypse, they'd realize some of us are the same as them.
Mother Pearl seemed to express interest in opening the Boomers up to the Mojave... slowly and carefully. So maybe, eventually, they'll be a force for good in a place that could really use it. Although I'm not sure the NCR will take kindly to the fact they hold massive firepower, but they'll just have to cross that bridge when they come to it. We've still got to kick Ceasers ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment