Friday, June 8, 2012

Of Snow and Bone - Part One


18th of Last Seed, 4th Era 201
I am not like the others of the stronghold, and for this I have been cast out. My quiet dissent of the chief has built resentment for me in the hearts of the others. He is a fool, a blind follower of Malacath. Unable to adapt. Unable to grow or learn. They watched with hating eyes as I spent my nights learning to read and write. They murmered spiteful words as I sparred with the others. "She does not fight as an orc should fight." they said.
It is true. I strike as the wolf, nimble and swift, quick lashing blows, not like a berserker putting all strength and energy into each attack.  I defend like the trees shed the rain, using shield and armor to deflect blows, not take them like a stone wall.
And when at last I could bear the slow death of the clan at the hands of our chief no longer, and spoke out with words I had learned from books, with words the others could not understand or comprehend, I made the chief feel a fool before them all.
It matters little now. I am not like the others, and for this I have been cast out. That is my old life. This day marks the beginning of my new one. A new name for a new life: Slyver. I have chosen to travel into the lands of Skyrim. I know only that Falkreath lays some miles to the north.

Our wise woman, Largdaz, was allowed to give me some basic equipment, in addition to my personal belongings. She is perhaps the only person I shall miss. The supplies are as follows:
-One woodsmans axe.
-One iron pot.
-One pewter cup.
-Two waterskins.
-Four pounds dried and salted slaughterfish, one-half pound bag of salt.
-Two loaves of hard rye bread.
-One fur bedroll.
-One waxed canvas tarp (8'x10'),  six steel stakes, 40 feet braided rope.
-100' dock line (tarred hemp twine)
-One iron hunting knife.
-One whetstone.
-One straight iron short sword and shield.
-One iron breastplate and helmet.
-One pair fur boots.
-One pair fur gloves.
-One wooden longbow and leather quiver.
-Twelve iron-head arrows.
-One leather haversack.
-One leather and canvas backpack, wooden frame.
-One wooden spoon.
-Four small healing potions.
-Two spells: Healing and Flames.

Plenty of supplies with which to survive the wilds of Skyrim. I shall need them soon; summer is dying, and the farmers plant the fall crops. Soon the cold rains will come, and then snow. I am not sure what I will do; I know that civil war rages in these lands, and the Imperial Legion has long made use of orc soldiers and mercenaries. If it becomes necessity I shall join them, but I am not so eager to throw away my new found freedom just yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment