Sunday, June 10, 2012

Of Snow and Bone - Part Seven


23rd of Last Seed, 4th Era 201

When I awoke, the sun was low in the east. I had a simple breakfast of salmon and bitter tea, stopping at the alchemists to get a potion to cure my ills. Unfortunately she did not have one, though she did have the raw materials, and mixed one for me at a small price. Heading west towards Solitude, I was glad to be gone from Morthal; something about the town unsettled me, especially after lasts nights events. It felt good to be back into the wilderness.
The road to Solitude from Morthal was beautiful, and soon I was down out of the snowy regions. Oddly, along the path, a dog appeared, barking at me, running a small ways, and then barking once more. Out of curiousity I followed him, and was led to a small wooden cabin. The dog laid down beside the bed, on which rested a dead Nord; I presumed the dog's former owner.
A journal by the bed gave the dog's name: Meeko. His owner had succumbed to rockjoint. I patted the dog on the head sadly, and then slung his owner's body over my shoulder. Meeko barked at this, and growled, "It's alright, boy. I'm going to burn him." I said gently. The dog quit growling, but still eyed me suspiciously and followed me about as I laid his owners body outside, then gathered a good deal of wood for a pyre. I set the man's journal on his chest, and then lit the pyre beneath him.
Meeko watched sadly, the fire reflecting in his glossy eyes as smoke rose towards the noonday sun. I sat with the dog and watched, until the fire had burned down somewhat and nothing remained of the man but scattered ashes. As I set out, back upon the path to Solitude, the dog followed at my side silently. Perhaps it would be nice to have some company.

We travelled across a magnificent, ancient stone bridge, the likeness of a dragon's head set on an arch in the middle. On the other side lay a town; Dragonsbridge, a towns person called it. Not an original name, perhaps, but apt. A mist had settled over the town, making it seem cozy and sleepy. I stopped inside the inn for meat and mead, feeding Meeko the occasional scrap, and then we set north, continuing along to Solitude.
A crowd had gathered just inside the gates to the city, to witness the beheading of a man accused of helping Ulfric Stormcloak escape after murdering the Nords High King. I watched with a raised brow, and as soon as the execution was done the crowd scattered. Several went to the inn nearby, no doubt to discuss the beheading over mugs of ale.
I passed them by, and went to find the blacksmith, to see if there was anything useful. If I could find more Dwemer alloy, perhaps I could replace the rest of my equipment, and my shield was in dire need of replacement or repair. He had enough of the Dwemer ingots for me to forge both helmet and boots; I still needed replace my guantlets, however. Between the forging of the new pieces and the repairs on my shield, I worked till dusk.

I longed for a room, hot meal, and a bucket and cloth to wipe off the sweat from the smithing. The 'Winking Skeever' had all three, though at a steeper price than I would have liked, but the food was filling and the room was clean. As I stripped out of my armor, Meeko curled up at the foot of the bed, the sounds of a bard's singing could be heard outside. That Dragonborn song again.

No comments:

Post a Comment