Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Of Snow and Bone - Part Fourteen


30th of Last Seed, 4th Era 201

When I awoke, it was late morning. The inn was abuzz with talk of the Dragonborn; she had climbed the seven-thousand steps to High Hrothgar and returned. She had slain two more dragon, no three, no five! Some claimed she was an Orc woman, like me; others said it was impossible for the Dragonborn to be anyone but a nord.
They looked at me oddly when I sat down to breakfast: maybe they thought I was the Dragonborn. Wouldn't that be amusing? A trader from Whiterun claimed he had seen her there: she had helped slay a dragon out by the watchtower, and she was indeed an Orc, and now she was Thane of Whiterun. When I realized he was talking about the very same battle I had witnessed when I had come to Whiterun, I started to think he might be telling the truth.
If that was the case, I hoped nobody would mistake me for the Dragonborn. Such a thing could cause problems, and there weren't a whole lot of Orc women running around Skyrim. With a hungry growl I decided to stop thinking about it and bought breakfast. Several cups of hot tea and minced horker meat pie with chunks of grilled leek.

I stopped by the iron mine just outside of Markarth, to see if I could purchase ore to smelt and practice my smithing on. They wouldn't sell it to me direct, but for 50 septims I was allowed to go inside and gather as much ore as I could dig up before nightfall.
I spent a few hours getting at all the easy veins, and ended up with enough or for nineteen ingots. I headed back to the city to forge them into simple daggers and plates. Blacktail's bags were still heavy with dozens of pieces of jewelry I had forged from the gold and silver ingots before, even though I had sold several to a jewelry merchant.
Stopping inside a general store to try and sell more of the jewelry, I discovered the shelves were practically bare of goods. When I asked the owner, a Nord woman, she said that the Forsworn had been raiding all her shipments. Then she gave me a strange look and asked if I was a sellsword for hire. I took up her offer of recovering a golden Dibella statue in  return for payment. Besides, I thought; maybe it would help her store out and next time she would have enough money to buy more than just a few of my rings.

When I spoke with the blacksmith to buy some leather for the dagger hilts, she mentioned she had gotten a few more orichalcum ingots in a shipment yesterday. I eagerly bought them up and was finally able to forge an Orcish shield for myself. It felt more comfortable and better balanced than my old Dwemer one had.
Afterwards I mounted Blacktail and set out to find the Dibella statue for the owner of the general store. I couldn't remember her name, but the store was called the Arnleif and Sons Trading Company. It seemed a pretty grand name for such a small store, but maybe it had once had better times.
She had said that the caravan had been attacked just after passing south of Rorikstead, so if I checked the caves around there I would probably find the Forsworn and her statue.

It would take a while to reach Rorikstead, so I ate a late lunch and then mounted Blacktail and was on my way, down through the rocky granite mountain passes. I took a narrow dirt path over the mountain ridge, a shortcut to Rorikstead, and stayed at the inn there. It would not be wise to go searching for Forsworn in the hills they called home at the dead of night.

No comments:

Post a Comment