Friday, June 8, 2012

Of Snow and Bone - Part Three


19th of Last Seed, 4th Era 201

I located Riverwood as dawn broke, the damp foliage releasing mist beside the roaring White River. After the bloodshed of the night, it seemed very serene and peaceful. I was glad for the sight. I was also exhausted, and took refuge at the Inn, leaving instructions to be awoken when the sun was at full height.
The few hours sleep did me well, and I paid the serving man with coin from the Vigilant's pouches. They were quite full of golden Septims, enough to make me somewhat nervous about carrying them around, and I tucked them inside the waist of my belt.

A kindly Nord man was tending to a forge, and with his help I was able to shake the rust off my blacksmithing skills. Largdaz had always said that smithing is in an Orcs blood, one of Malacaths gifts. I do not know if she was right, but at our stronghold we were all taught the basics of iron and steel smithing, and I must admit that it was one of the few things I enjoyed.
The coins bought me plenty of steel stock, iron, and leather. Enough to forge myself a good, fitted suit of steel armor in the nord style; simple riveted helm with chain aventail, breastplate with simple pauldrons, steel plates sewn onto leather and fur for gauntlets and boots, simple large plates over the thighs.
Much to my pride, I was also able to forge an excellent blade, weighted for chopping and curved to slice, with a wicked point and strong spine to stab. The Nord smith said it made him think of the heavy chopping blades of the Reguard, and the thin slicing blades of the Akaviri; a child between the two. I was well pleased.
The sun has not yet begun it's winter habit of setting early and rising late, but all that smithing had taken many hours, although we had worked fast. I paid the smith well for his assistance, and made my return to the Inn to rest the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment